Monday, February 24, 2014

The Dance

Music has always been a good form of therapy for me.  I spend a good amount of time every day in my car driving to daycare, work, home, etc...and during that time listen to a lot of music.  I have never had a time in my life when I couldn't find a song to laugh or cry along with. 

Nick's brother and I have been sharing conversation back and forth on Facebook a lot during the last month...talking about life and Nick.  We have shared funny stories and fond memories of him, and always revert back to how we would give anything to have him back here with us.  Among our conversations, we have shared songs back and forth that have triggered many tears...I'm not sure if we were having a competition on who could make the other cry the most?! Haha...but regardless, I find comfort in music no matter how much a song may make me cry, and one that he shared with me that I hadn't listened to in years, really hit home.

I had touched on this a few posts ago...about how the risk we take for love is sooo worth it, and this song describes just that.  We take such great risk in loving people...we put our heart on the line when it could be shattered at any time.  The risk is so great, but as this song states..."our lives are better left to chance, I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."   The "dance" is the most enjoyable part of life.  If we constantly live life afraid of ever feeling pain, we would miss all the joy in life as well.  In the end you have to decide what's more important to you, never risking pain, or never finding love.  I chose to "dance", I hope you do, too!

 
"The Dance" Garth Brooks
 
Looking back on the memory of
The dance we shared 'neath the stars above
For a moment all the world was right
How could I have known that you'd ever say goodbye?
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance
Holding you, I held everything
For a moment, wasn't I a king?
But if I'd only known how the king would fall
Hey, who's to say? You know I might have changed it all
And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance
Yes my life is better left to chance
I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance
 
Here is a link to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7FRbeaXjvk

And with that, I leave you with this quote:

“Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.” - Erica Jong

No comments:

Post a Comment